Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Pumpkin Farm

Devilboy and -girl went to Shaw Farm for a field trip today. I rode with DB which caused DG to throw a fit but her bus was filled to capacity. He was wild and I had to pick him up a few times but compared to a few of his classmates, I guess I don't have so much to complain about.

For once, Peter Bronson wrote a decent column about what some of the kids and their families go through and as much as I bitch about it, DB has a good chance of a "normal" life. A lot of the kids and their families don't.

One of the strangest feelings from the trip was that it seemed like they didn't really need me. Any time I volunteered for Cincinnati Public, it was like the whole place would fall down without me (and probably still would despite my efforts). I guess it's a good thing that so many people volunteer but it doesn't give you the same "I'm-giving-my-damnedest-to-a-hopeless-cause" feeling that came with CPS.

Oh, well. They had a fun time and got pumpkins.

No comments: