Wednesday, July 21, 2004

F

One of the options for class papers for my current course was to evaluate a film. As I mentioned before on this blog, I used F for Fake, a film by Orson Welles which looks at art forgery, frauds, and critical thinking.

I think two of 27 students didn't complain about it. True, many of the subjects are singing with the choir invisible but I was surprised how inaccessible they found it. (Howard Hughes is forgotten. This seems to say that in 20 years, college students won't recognize the name "Michael Jackson.")

Personally, I'm more impressed by this Welles' picture than Citizen Kane. There was a little too much 70s-style direction but the dialogue, the visuals, the editing, the overall concepts were incredible. They hated the clip of Un Chien Andalou too. I blame Titanic.

No comments: