Saturday, September 02, 2006

What to do with Them?

When I hear people say that Liz and David Carroll should be put to death, I can't help but think that it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Everyone who has spent time in prison tells me the two will be tortured beyond the scope of human imagination, even if they are given protective custody (most of my sources are now mothers themselves--one met her future ex-husband in a correctional facility--and this case is a hot topic). There's been much speculation how many times old Dave will be raped per night. I didn't break into the discussion but if even a fraction of what they're saying is true, Mr. Carroll won't walk out of prison HIV negative. . . and, once out, he doesn't seem like the type of guy to practice safe sex.

I'm trying to be as objective as possible but a Soviet-style bullet to the back of the head immediately following the trial might be the most humane option.

I know I'm a minority of one but I think about the other inmates who will spend time with either Carroll. I know it's corny but I remember an old illustration of Johnny Cash when he gave concerts in prisons. In the picture, among the cheering inmates, a voice balloon from one prisoner shouted out, "He's giving me hope!"

Maybe that's an overly sentimental depiction but I'd like to think that Cash made a difference in some of the convicts' lives. The Carrolls, even if they are sequestered in an isolated cell, would have just the opposite effect. The consensus is that David Carroll is going to spark intense sadistic sexual violence. Not that I truly feel sorry about him but, if it's as intense as everyone of my sources says it will be, we'll be looking at a new circle of hell.

I don't know if the legal system has an option for the Carrolls or other child molesters/killers. I remember when one of the Boston priests under Cardinal Law was killed in prison, I thought he got what he had coming. But isn't that just a de facto death sentence so the rest of us can feel virtuous about not condemning him directly?

I don't know what to do with people like this. What the hell can we do with them?

No comments: