Saturday, May 01, 2004

Chocolate for Dogs

Covington brought up a good question about feeding chocolate to dogs. It's definitely not good for them but it's not healthy for humans either. (Falling back to Cecil Adams).

I'm a little skeptical about this. My grandma's poodle ate at least a pound of chocolate one Christmas and still maintained "firm and solid stool." I wouldn't advise intentionally feeding Snicker bars to your schnauzer but I don't stop my dog from cleaning up the stuff the kids drop. Adams didn't factor that most cheap candy has more filler than Hamburger Helper--rice, peanuts, caramel, etc. I'm sure all of these things are bad for canine health but they must dilute the harmful chemical. If some idiot feeds his dog pure Belgium chocolate, he deserves to bury it.

No comments: