Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Old Spiderman vs. New

My four-year old is starting to like superhero cartoons (could this be the end of Blue's Clues and Dora the Explorer?) so we just watched Spiderman: Return of the Green Goblin. It's one of the later cartoon series, I believe from the late 90s. (Not the one on MTV or the goofy one with animal-men and the High Evolutionary.)

It wasn't that bad but I thought about how much better the old "Does whatever a spider can" series was.

Then I found two shows from that series on the DVD Bonus section. They were terrible. The animation for the most part looked like it was done with magic markers (at least the supervillain in each show got at least one detailed close-up). The editing was worse than what I did on the old machines at public access. Maybe this was the dawn of the video tape age and the editor wasn't used to working with it. "Walloping websnappers!"

I still enjoyed it for the memories it brought back but it leaves no doubt that animation today is far superior to when I was a kid.

"Is he strong? Listen bub, he's got radioactive blood." The music today sucks 'tho. Don't tell me otherwise or I'll whack you with my cane.

No comments: