Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Redskin Editorial

Earlier I mentioned that the Anderson classroom where I teach has this taped to the door.

Although I would favor changing the name, I think Galvin is just provoking opponents with this. Wouldn't a "what's-the-big-deal" argument work better than "we'll-bury-you"?

Again, maybe it's because my high school called their teams "The Eagles" but why does anyone care about the name? I could see the point in something unusual like the Bearcats (although I wouldn't give a rat's ass if they changed that either). If people from Norway complained about NKU's name of "The Norsemen," what would be the big deal about changing it? The argument goes that schools seek to honor the people they name themselves after--why honor someone who doesn't appreciate it?

I'm a tiny bit Powhatan and a lot Irish. I don't feel the least bit offended by Redskins but, if some people do, why not change it to Celtics? (Is there anyone who really is offended by Fighting Irish?)

My thoughts are that it's the people on the team that counts, not the name or the mascot.

No comments: